If you’re new to crocheting or just need a refresher, this page is for you! Below you’ll find basic stuff like abbreviations and tips too.
These are the typical abbreviations you’d see in patterns:
- BPdc – Back Post double crochet(s)
- ch(s) – chain(s)
- cm – centimeters
- dc – double crochet
- FPdc – Front Post double crochet(s)
- FPtr – Front Post treble crochet(s)
- hdc – half double crochet(s)
- tr – treble crochet(s)
- mm – millimeters
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sp(s) – space(s)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- YO – yarn over
- sl st – slip stitch
* – work instructions following * as many more times as indicated in addition to the first time.
( ) or [ ] – work enclosed instructions as many times as specified by the number immediately following or work all enclosed instructions in the stitch or space indicated or contains explanatory remarks.
colon (:) – the number(s) given after a colon at the end of a row or round denote(s) the number of stitches or spaces you should have on that row or round.
Types of Yarn:
Yarn Weight, Symbol & Names:
1 – Super fine (sock, fingering baby)
2 – Fine (sport, baby)
3 – Light (DK, light worsted)
4 – Medium (worsted, afghan, aran)
5 – Bulky (chunky, craft, rug)
6 – Super Bulky (bulky, roving)
Types of Crochet Hooks:
U.S. Aluminum Crochet Hooks List
- B-1 – 2.25 mm
- C-2 – 2.75 mm
- D-3 – 3.25 mm
- E-4 – 3.5 mm
- F-5 – 3.75 mm
- G-6 – 4 mm
- H-8 – 5 mm
- I-9 – 5.5 mm
- J-10 – 6 mm
- K-10-1/2 – 6.5 mm
- N – 9 mm
- P – 10 mm
- Q – 15 mm
Normally, you’ll see a level of difficulty by a pattern letting you know what’s entailed in making that pattern:
- Beginner – Projects for first-time crocheters using basic stitches. Minimal shaping.
- Easy – Projects using yarn with basic stitches, repetitive stitch patterns, simple color changes, and simple shaping and finishing.
- Intermediate – Projects using a variety of techniques, such as basic lace patterns or color patterns, mid-level shaping and finishing.
- Experienced – Projects with intricate stitch patterns, techniques, and dimension, such as non-repeating patterns, multi-color techniques, fine threads, small hooks, detailed shaping and refined finishing.